Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Never Forget

Like Bugs Bunny, I never forget. I actually do have a great memory for things I have to do, only last year when I was on the road so much did I start keeping a diary. It probably has something to do with a brain that stores mundane facts – I almost never lose at Trivial Pursuit; when I was a Lan Administer I knew everyone’s password without writing them down. On the other hand I have a dreadful memory for things that actually happened in my life. I’ll get together with my friends and they’ll all be laughing and say “Do you remember when...” Uh, no, I don’t.

Which is a long winded way of saying that I forgot to send the publisher the suggested blurbs for Gold Fever. She had to write and remind me that they are overdue.

I find blubs very hard to write. You have to condense the essence of your story into a hundred words, or four hundred words, while also creating a mood and a sense of tension and conflict. Not easy to do.

The blurb for Gold Digger was all about the characters and the setting, not about the plot at all. But for the second book in the series I feel we can’t do that again. I’ll let you know when I have something. In the meantime, here’s the blurb we used for Gold Digger:

It's the spring of 1898 and Dawson, Yukon Territory, is the most exciting town in North America. The great Klondike Gold Rush is in full swing and Fiona MacGillivray has crawled over the Chilkoot Pass determined to make her fortune as the owner of the Savoy dance hall. Provided, that is, if her 12-year-old son, growing up much too fast for her liking; the former Glasgow street fighter who's now her business partner; a stern, handsome NWMP constable; an ageing, love-struck, ex-boxing champion; a wild assortment of headstrong dancers, croupiers, gamblers, madams without hearts of gold, bar hangers-on, cheechakos and sourdoughs; and Fiona's own nimble-fingered past don’t get in her way. And then there’s a dead body on centre stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment