Saturday, May 15, 2010

It's working!

For the last three days, I have switched off my modem and wireless router, moved the laptop to the dining room and settled down to work. I am delighted to report that the book is back on track and going well. It is really making a difference. Mostly I suspect because when I am stuck on a sentence or an idea, instead of clicking on my e-mail inbox to see what nuggets of wisdom have come my way, I lean back in my chair and actually THINK about what to do next. And then, I type what I have thought.

Sounds so simple doesn't it? It's taken me a very long time to get to this point. Hopefully one day I will be able to return to my home office where the router is and actually sit beside it and leave it off.

Makes me think though - I grew up without e-mail. I had a computer when I started writing, so have never had to type it out on a typewriter or, horrors, by hand. But it's only over the last say two to three years, that the internet has been so ubiquitous in my life. What does the future hold for those who are growing up with it. Will they ever know that sometimes you have to be disconnected?

No comments:

Post a Comment